Heads up speakers: Please be aware that there is a speaking scam attacking both women and men speakers and although it has been around for a couple years it seems to be hitting hard at this time. I have had many speakers contact me within the last day to see if it was the real deal or a scam. When first reading the email it will seem like a dream come true for most of you but please be aware it is a scam!
These folks can be clever so be very careful. The email to look out for is as follows: Please note they do change the name of the sender to mix it up a bit.
From: Robert Brain <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 01:59:13 +0100
Subject: MIDDLESEX UNIVERSITY SPEAKING REQUEST 2011.
I am Professor Robert Brain from the Middlesex University Here in London UK. We want you to be our guest Speaker at this Year Middlesex University Seminar which will take place here in UK. We are writing to invite and confirm your booking to be our guest Speaker at this year’s event. We want our UNIVERSITY STUDENTS to have a successful human relationship and realize the future ahead of them. That is why we intend to use these conference to educate them.
The Venue as follows:
VENUE: Middlesex University in London, The Burroughs, London NW4 4BT
Expected audience: 850 people
Duration of speech per speaker: 1 Hour
Name of Organization: Middlesex University,
Topic: HONESTY AND TRUE/RELATIONSHIP
Date:19th February 2011
We came across your profile on http://www.charlijane.com/dir_speakers_alpha.htm and we say it’s up to standard and we will be very glad to have such an outstanding personality in our mist for these overwhelming gathering. Arrangements to welcome you here will be discussed as soon as you honor our invitation. If you have any more publicity material, please do not hesitate to contact us. A formal Letter of invitation and Contract agreement would be sent to you as soon as you honor our Invitation. We are taking care of your traveling and Hotel Accommodation expenses including your Speaking Fee. If you will be available for our event, include your speaking fees In your email so it can be included in your CONTRACT AGREEMENT.
Professor Robert Brain
Tel: +44 702 408 2535
Sounds like the speaking event for you right? The one you have been dreaming of and striving for…yep it does for many…don’t let your excitement take over your gut instincts. Here are some things to look for when you’re not sure or something looks too good to be true.
- First you can contact me and I will let you know if it’s the real deal or not, or at least do my best to find out for you.
- If you have 2nd thoughts about an email that just doesn’t look right to you…research it. More times than not if you take the content in the subject line and copy and paste it into Google you’re going to find out a lot of information on this subject.
- Most respected professors from a university such as above are not going to be sending you an email from a Gmail account, not only unprofessional but obviously strange.
- Look at the topic/s they are suggesting. They are sending out the same email to all speakers with the same topic (for the most part) topics that don’t even fit the speakers area of expertise. This should tip you off right away because apparently if they are willing to pay for everything and your speaking fee then they would have done their homework and know your area of expertise before sending you such a request.
- Notice the time frame. Usually the conference is within a few weeks of the time they sent the email. Who does that? No one especially when trying to secure a speaker oversees with all the details involved.
- Just because they list a phone number doesn’t mean it’s real. You can call the number and they will still “play” you, so be smart.
- The best advice I can give in cases such as this is to delete it. Do not respond and ignore any emails from these people.
Most importantly DO NOT give any sensitive information to them via email or over the phone. They have scammed many speakers out of a good chunk of money! Delete and ignore is the best thing you can do to protect yourself.
So, heads up speakers, I just want to keep you safe and alert.
Charli Jane Speakers